Meal Charge Policy
The goal of the Fillmore Central School is to provide student access to nutritious no- or low-cost meals each day.
However, unpaid charges place a large financial burden on our school. The purpose of this policy is to insure compliance with federal requirements for the USDA Child Nutrition Program, and to provide oversight and accountability for the collection of outstanding student meal balances.
The intent of this policy is to establish procedures to address unpaid meal charges throughout the Fillmore Central School. The provisions of this policy pertain to regular priced school breakfast, lunch and snack (if applicable) meals only. The Fillmore Central School provides this policy as a courtesy to those students in the event that they forget or lose their lunch money. Charging of items outside of the reimbursable meals (a la carte, adult meals, etc.) is expressly prohibited.
- Free Meal Benefit - Free eligible students will be allowed to receive a free breakfast and lunch each day. A la carte purchases must be paid/prepaid.
- Reduced Meal Benefit - Reduced eligible students will be allowed to receive a breakfast for $.25 and lunch for $.25 each day. A student will be allowed to charge a maximum of 5 meals to their account after the balance reaches zero. The charge meals offered to students will be reimbursable meals that are available to all students.
- Full Pay Students – Students will pay for meals at the school’s published paid meal rate each day. If a student is without meal money on a consistent basis, the administration will investigate the situation more closely and take further action as needed. If financial hardship exists, parents and families are encouraged to apply for free or reduced price lunches for their child if applicable. A student will be allowed to charge a maximum of 5 meals to their account after the balance reaches zero. The charge meals offered to students will be reimbursable meals that are available to all students.
- Parents/Guardians are responsible for meal payment to the food service program. If a student has a negative account balance, parents/ guardians will be contacted directly via telephone and e-mail. The issue will not be addressed with the student.
- Students/Parents/Guardians may pay for meals in advance with a check payable to Fillmore Central School Lunch. Funds should be maintained in accounts to minimize the possibility that a child may be without meal money on any given day. Any remaining funds for a particular student may/will be carried over to the next school year.
- Refunds for withdrawn, and graduating students; a written or e-mailed request for a refund of any money remaining in their account must be submitted. Students who are graduating at the end of the year will be given the option to transfer to a sibling’s account with a written request.
- Unclaimed Funds must be requested within one school year. Unclaimed funds will then become the property of the Fillmore Central School Food Service Program.
- Balances Owed collection of owed balances will follow the policies and procedures set by the school.
If a student is without meal money beyond the five day charge limit, the administration will investigate the situation closely and take further action as needed. If financial hardship exists, parents and families are encouraged to apply for free or reduced price lunches for their child if applicable.