Degrees and Certifications:
Importance of Social-Emotional Skills
Social-emotional skills in childhood predict social and emotional wellbeing, as well as academic and career success as adults (Jones, Greenberg, & Crowley, 2015).
The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning has identified five core social-emotional skills:
- Self-awareness is the ability to recognize your emotions and understand the links between emotions, thoughts and behaviors.
- Self-management is the ability to regulate emotions, thoughts and behaviors.
- Social awareness is the ability to take other’s perspectives and demonstrate empathy.
- Relationship skills are the ability to build and maintain healthy relationships.
- Responsible decision-making is the ability to make good choices about your behavior and interactions with others.
Check out the following links for information on how to build these skills at home: