Head Lice Policy
Here at FCS we strongly believe in creating and maintaining a safe and healthy learning environment for all children to thrive academically, socially and emotionally.
Occasionally, we experience situations where head lice are contracted in the school. We realize that this can be disruptive for children not only at school but also at home. FCS School District takes the treatment seriously and therefore we have established an effective, appropriate and comprehensive plan to treat such a condition.
· Students found to have head lice will be excluded from school. A parent or guardian will be called to pick the student up.
· The parent or guardian will be given written and verbal instructions regarding the appropriate treatment of head lice and the proper care of the environment and personal items.
· A parent or guardian must accompany the student to school the next day to be examined by the school nurse. Should any lice or nits be found, parents will be required to take the child home and recomb the hair or manually remove the nits until all nits are removed.
· The student shall not return to school or take the school bus until the school nurse clears them.
· In grades Pre-K through 6, the classroom will be checked.
· In grades 7 through 12, the nurse will check the appropriate student contacts.
· As always, the student’s privacy will be safeguarded.